chuvaness
What happened to Jenna?
Posted on

As I struggle with my own metabolism, I find it hard to watch Jenna Hamilton (actress Ashley Rickards) put on weight in Awkward‘s Season 2.
Why I love this show so much: it reminds me of my growing up years with all these crushes and getting to know boys for the first time.
We dealt with the mean girls and the popular girls in school while trying to find our own identity.
We tried to fit in or we did our own thing.

awkwardseason2-004

Awkward takes me back to the ’80s when I was really awkward. And we love Jenna Hamilton because she’s the regular girl who gets noticed by two popular boys in school—one of them, a class president who drops a cheerleader for her.
In Season 1, Jenna went to school with her arm in a cast after surviving freak accident in her bathroom.

Awkward

She did not expect to stand out this way, but she managed

She fell in love with Matty McKibben

Awkward

Got bullied by the mean girl, Sadie

Awkward

But despite the mean girls’ plot to take her down, she ended up with the golden boy, Jake Rosati.

jake-and-jenna-kiss

A highly anticipated Season 2 finally started last June 28.
But after watching the second episode last night, I was very sad to see Jenna’s looks deteriorate. She seems to be the only one in the cast who has gained weight drastically. This they tried to explain by having Jenna’s mom cook her favorite food every night to make up for a grave sin.

Awkward

Check her tummy in this photo

Awkward

Aside from the weight gain, she’s been looking especially haggard. Instead of reminding me of high school, she reminds me of being pregnant.

Awkward

It’s getting hard to believe why these two guys would be fighting over her

Awkward

What’s even more surprising is in Season 2, mean girl Sadie drops a lot of weight. What did she do??

Molly Tarlov sadie2
Actress Molly Tarlov as Sadie: Before and after

Here’s hoping Jenna gets her groove back this season. I need my favorite protagonist to look cute and credible, not homely.

ashley-rickards-beauty-essentials-intro

22 Comment threads
13 Thread replies
0 Followers

Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
17 Comment authors
avataravataravataravataravatar Recent comment authors

Notify of
Morgan Moyd

You realize she has an eating disorder right

Ciara

Wow what a disgusting article. Shame on you

Guest

Its because she is PREGNANT!!! Damn you people are stupid!

Misa

Excuse her for being a human being. No wonder girls have such self esteem problems; look at was is expected of them.

Guest

I hate to tell you this, ladies, but as a mom (meaning I am older than you) the fact is: it’s a reality that women gain and lose weight. Especially if you are not tall. There will be times in your life when you spend a month or so less active than usual, hanging out and watching too much t.v., and you will be a size larger and it’s going to show in your photos and people are going to notice. If you have a desk job and aren’t moving around, you are going to gain wait. Meet a guy… Read more »

Guest

How do you get to watch it? The video is unavailable to this region–or so it says.

theicecrumbs

Riiiight?! I remember writing a comment about this here when you posted about Season 2. WHAT. HAPPENED? Some say she’s probably taking steroids. I don’t think she gained weight for the show, because I don’t see where that fits in the story.

And the haggard thing? So true. She’s looks stressed out.

Sadie, on the other hand, gosh. Unbelievable.

Chris Paglicauan

She would give Anne Curtis a run for her money in the last photo. I thought she kinda looked like Rep. Lucy Torres-Gomez there, minus the uber-red lips, of course. =)

Guest

oooppsss… season 2 has started? I did not know..  thanks for this post… I love this series, too… 😀

Brittany

I thought i was thee only one that noticed her getting big and sadie dropping so much weight, but i kinda think Ashley got big 4 the show cuz i seen a recent interview and she looks alot skinnier

Guest

I noticed that too! I googled nag if she is preggers in real life. parang ako lang ang dating may tummy bulge.  But I think they started filming season 2 around december – january. maybe that’s the reason, with all the holiday food but I think she lost weight after na because when she was doing the interview I saw her jawline again.

Hamification

And I thought the world is getting more accepting of fat people. [Reply]CVS Reply:July 9th, 2012 at 2:37 PMI’m not the world.  [Reply]omnesia Reply:July 9th, 2012 at 9:47 PMif it were a reality show or sitcom, then that would be the issue. but this is fiction and the only issue is visual continuity [Reply]CVS Reply:July 9th, 2012 at 10:21 PMthank you Joel! [Reply]Jude Lopez Mancuyas Reply:July 10th, 2012 at 6:48 PMI wouldn’t be too PC with this show. Because if I am, I wouldn’t be asking how Sadie got in the pep squad in the first place.  [Reply]Girl_Saturday Reply:July 13th,… Read more »

omnesia

Girl_Saturday

Sure it’s just fiction, but popular media affects our perception of the world. I for one am glad that there’s a normal-sized girl (she is not chubby) being chased after by guys on tv. It’s one of the reasons I liked awkward in Season 1 – Sadie may not be admirable as a person but a chubby, popular character is fresh and progressive.

If it stops one girl from having body dysmorphic disorder…

OBSESSED with Girls!

Guest

I love Valerie in this series! She’s hilarious. And I can’t wait for the second season of Girls. I miss Adam already.

Guest

Di kaya part ng plot na naging preggers si Jenna? Just like Peggy in Mad Men.

jojoloco

still pretty though 🙂 she was one of the ‘ghosts’ pala in American Horror Story

Guest

i really miss her beautiful jaw line. she can gain weight naman but wag naman ung ganito!! i hope she gets her groove back too…

Dyuknow

She sorta looks like a younger version of Julie Cooper (Melinda Clarke). Mischa Barton’s mom in The O.C. 🙂

Guest

No… fat sya talaga sa pictures above. Kencha see?
Di kaya sadya tapos magkaka issues sa losing weight, ganyan ganyan. Ang lupit naman if so 😀

Guest

This is how she looks now, months after shooting Awkward Season 2. Photo was taken June 18th at the Critics’ Choice Award, if I’m not mistakent: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2831133184/nm2413197 See? No more fat cheeks. =) It isn’t that she’s actually “fat” I think. She was just waaaaay too thin in Season 1, that when she did start to gain some weight (much of it on the face), she looked different. [Reply]CVS Reply:July 8th, 2012 at 10:54 PMshe looks like a clown. [Reply]Jude Lopez Mancuyas Reply:July 10th, 2012 at 12:12 AMsomeone forgot to put foundation on her left temple and forehead. [Reply]Topaz Horizon Reply:July… Read more »

Guest

Omigas. She looks sooo old naman! And what the hell happened to her mouth?!

literarybulimia

Oh, gawd. Who did that to her? Pang-Real Housewife!

She looked fine in Season 1. 🙂

Chris Paglicauan

Your recent photo reference of Jenna was yet another case of make-up-gone-bad. She should fire her MUA. Scarry!

Lov/er

omfg…i love the show and her but what the F*CK has she done to her lips…they look like the size of angelina’s in this pic and the makeup…doesnt she own a mirror? …seriously