chuvaness
The sad childhood of Gretchen B
Posted on

Before anything, I have nothing against Gretchen Barretto!
I find her highly amusing and entertaining, unlike her sister Claudine, whom I find strangely aggressive.
One thing I’ve always wondered about Gretchen though, is why a pretty woman like her needs to alter her face that much.
Another thing, Gretchen recently found her voice in social media. Through Instagram we can all see her bling

her ride

her gifts

her drinks

her shoes

her bags

her food galore!

Untitled

But what drives a woman who seems to have everything to show off what she has, when we all know she’s “married” to a very rich man?
The answer finally came when her good friend, former actress and schoolmate, Tania Montenegro, recently spoke to Pep.ph about Gretchen’s sordid childhood.
The idea was not to put down Gretchen, but to discredit Gretchen’s sister Gia, who wrote a letter to discredit brother Jay-Jay (Joaquin), who wrote a statement to discredit their mother Inday, who wrote a letter to discredit Gretchen.

I know, long story.
Tania’s story is quite a read in Tagalog. I thought it would be easier to understand by summarizing and asking my sister Ana Maria Zamora to illustrate them.
Here goes…

Tanya Montenegro
Tania Montenegro

While they were “put in exclusive schools”, Tania says many times during exams, Gretchen would be asked to leave the room because her tuition fee was not paid.
no tuition

“Most of the time, she’d come to school, wala siyang baon. So many countless times, I make her libre for recess,” Tania recalled.
libre

Food galore?
Tania says she used to see Gretchen’s siblings in the canteen, “nagre-recess, nagla-lunch”, while Gretchen only had one meal. “Bakit si Gretchen, it’s either lunch or recess, ganyan? Lagi, lagi ‘yan,” Tania asked.
Gretchen is the fifth of seven children of Miguel at Estrella “Inday” Barretto.
Her elder siblings are Mito, Michi, Jay-Jay, at Gia (non showbiz) while the younger ones—Marjorie and Claudine both joined Gretchen in showbiz.

kapatids eating

“Sometimes, we’d go out as a group, hindi ‘yan oorder kasi she has no money to pay for the food, yung ganun ba.”

outing

“Nakakaawa nga ‘yan, e. There was one time nga, e, dumadalaw ‘yan sa house, mga early 1990s.
We were living in Capitol Hills, and she was within the area lang, kasi she had shooting. She passed by.
So kami naman, unintentionally, we served Spam and California rice. She sat on the table and sabi niya, ‘Ang sarap naman nito! Di bale, I promise, some day I’d be able to buy myself this.’

spam and rice

Yayas and chauffeurs? According to Tania, Gia’s recollection of their lifestyle during the ’80s is “weird”.
The chauffeur was actually Jay-Jay, the brother who drove them to school in a yellow combi!

yellow combi

“And their house, lahat naman yun rented. Rented lang mga houses na yun.
There were times nga, may mga art project kami, may mga project kami for art or for GMRC [Good Manners and Right Conduct], na we’d have to go to the school and bring this. Wala siyang madadala, kasi nga wala…Hindi siya nabigyan ng pambili or ganyan. Kaya nga kami naging close niyan. Kasi ako, madalas, I’d share. I’d share with her.”

friends cos of sharing

“Nagulat lang ako talaga kung bakit kinailangan magsalita pa ni Tita Inday. I don’t know why she had to come up with that statement na parang…parang disown Gretchen. Parang tinatanong ko lang, ‘What has she done to you guys? Kasi, all throughout…ano ‘yan, e, she has a very big heart. So I don’t know.”

big heart

Another thing she can’t understand is Tita Inday’s “hatred kay Gretch.”
“I don’t know why. Hindi ko rin maintindihan na bakit parang through all, ha…seven kasi sila [magkakapatid]. I don’t know why siya [Gretchen] lang, sa nakita ko, sa naririnig kong kuwento from Gretch, sa na-witness ko, I don’t know why merong ganyang hatred si Tita Inday kay Gretch. I don’t know why.

Kasi dati pa sasabihin niya: ‘Si Gretchen ang itim-itim! Ang pangit ni Gretchen!’ Kaya nga si Gretchen, nagkaroon ng kailangan na pumuti siya, kailangan gumanda siya. Kaya naging ganyan ang effect kay Gretch, e. Kasi she hears it from her mom na, ‘Maitim si Gretchen! Maitim si Gretchen. Hindi naman maganda si Gretchen! Maraming gano’n.’”

maitim si gretchen

“And then there was one time, she had a big pasa dito sa may face niya…between her cheek and her neck.
Sabi ko sa kanya, ‘What happened to you? Why do you have a bruise?’
Sabi niya her mom slapped her daw. Sabi niya, ‘She hit me.’
Sabi ko, ‘Why?’ She started to cry.
pasa

“I didn’t bother asking her kasi naawa ako because of the bruise on her cheek. Yung malaking bruise.
We were like Grade 6 lang siguro—so, mga 12? There was one time, may pictorial may pictorial kami, na-late siya.
‘Parang you cried,’ sabi ko sa kanya.
‘Yeah,’ sabi niyang ganun.‘Inday pulled my hair.’”
pulling hair

Even though Gretchen now lives the good life, Tania says it’s not so difficult to please Gretchen—it could be as simple as mocha cake and hugs.
“Gretchen is so mababaw. A simple Goldilocks mocha slice or mocha cake will make her so happy.
When we were young, she would have to wait for her birthday para makatikim ng Goldilocks. Kaya if people out there want to make Gretch happy, give her Goldilocks mocha cake or mocha slice!”

mocha cake

“She was deprived kasi of love and affection growing up. That’s why, if you notice, Gretchen is a hugger, she loves to hug her friends, and she always says, ‘I love you.’ Because her mom never said that to her.” (Source)

P.S. Gretchen didn’t pay me to write this!! xo

115

61 Comment threads
54 Thread replies
0 Followers

Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
42 Comment authors
avataravataravataravataravatar Recent comment authors

Notify of
Lilibeth Borra

Gretchen could have been deprived financially and emotionally but she must have a thankful heart now that she’s materially blessed and with a partner who love and stood by her and a pretty and seemingly nice daughter, too. She’s far better off than millions of poor children or adults out there 🙁

acidicboy

and going by that line of argument I guess nadia montenegro had daddy issues and a deprived childhood for her to shack up with that old guy asistio. yuck!

Guest

Na.miss ko tuloy bigla ang blog ni Ana. Sana mag.blog na ulit si @nmrzmr. *parinig*

CVS Reply:

here’s her blog http://nmrzmr.blogspot.com/

Guest

Dear Ana, the mocha cake illustration with the crying girl is my current background picture, ok lang ba?

Ana Maria Zamora Reply:

Ana Maria Zamora

Guest

ang kulit nung big heart illustration. may wings pa talaga

ang tagal na pala ng away nila ni Claudine.

Guest

Greta’s unica hija had an A, right? O baka pati yan isisi rin kay Inday.

Mary Anne

i just want to make a correction. She’s not ‘legally married’ to Tony Boy Cojuanco.

CVS Reply:

njmanang

Kudos to your sister!!! Love her illustration she nailed the “Tita Inday calls Gretchen maitim”

Puedeng pang Liwayway ang narration LOL.

Guest

I’m more inclined to believe her Ate Gia, hindi sila rich pero di rin sila poor. It’s just Greta and her conyo problems. She thrives on drama and I think she started young. I have a classmate who’s like that in high school. She’s constantly complaining about her parents. She feels api and ‘deprived’ just because di siya binilhan nang K-Swiss shoes. This is the same girl na meron namang 4 different colors nang original Tretorn canvass shoes. She feels left out at kawawa just because we are all wearing K-Swiss and hers is, according to her ay ‘just Trentorn’.… Read more »

blingerie

I remember a schoolmate of mine who’s related to the Baretto’s. That time Gretchen, Tania and Nadia were upcoming artistas pa lang and I remember about the family living in Iloilo. They weren’t rich but weren’t poor either. Inday’s explanation somehow holds water. I think that sa lahat ng anak nila, Claudine is the one that is not really in a good situation right now. Marjorie and Gretchen who’s supposed to be in a situation far better than Claudine would’ve probably caused their mom to take sides seeing the tweets and all. Kumbaga, si Gretchen and Marjorie naka-jackpot na nga… Read more »

lime stories

Looking forward to more entries from you and Ana-Jay-Jay just disputed Gia’s statement.

Guest

Tony’s gift to Gretchen! Consistent si Tania! lol.

Guest

Tony’s gift to Gretchen!!! Consistent si Tania! lol.

Nice illustrations. 🙂

Guest

Did Ana get paid for her illustration work? Hehe.

CVS Reply:

i owe her!

Guest

“The ultimate proof of good parenting: that the child has no desire to be famous.” – Alain de Botton

Guest

And why naman nakisawsaw this Tanya sa family feud na ito? Di nga nagsasalita si Gretchen, so what gives her the right to do so? Prudence should tell you to just shut up or refuse to comment.

Guest

and the saga continues, Darth Vader would look like Gandhi next to Mrs. Inday Barretto… honestly, she should see the aftermath every time she opens her mouth. does she realize na because she let this whole clusterf*ck all out in the open, her family became more divided? I read in a comment somewhere that Alfie Lorenzo wrote a column in bandera (i know insert snicker here…) saying that if Mrs. barretto wouldn’t shut up, he would unleash more stuff against them (seiko films days when Gretchen was still starting out). i shouldnt feast on their misery, but i couldnt help… Read more »

Guest

The mere fact that the Baretto matriarch talks like that, you definitely have an idea there somethings wrong with the family and the way the kids were brought up.

Guest

natawa ako sa cartoonized na cafeteria scene, imagine 7 silang magkapatid at sa lahat si gretchen lang ang hindi kasali kumain sa canteen? parang nahirap akong naniwala.

hey you Reply:

my thoughts too. absurb.

hey you

my thoughts too. absurb.

Guest

Love it! They should all have one big reunion party at Goldilocks and forgive each other na lang. 🙂 [Reply]Joel Cruz Reply:May 3rd, 2013 at 8:32 AMI still remember the Goldilocks in Rustan’s Cubao, with the sign that read “Share A Seat, Win A Friend” hahaha I really thought I would literally win a friend if I shared the seat!! [Reply]Angelicum Oda Reply:May 5th, 2013 at 4:48 PMOmg I miss that Goldilocks branch! Shocks! Whenever I need to eat real fast in a crowded fast food chain,I always look for the Share A Seat, Win A Friend sign but to… Read more »

Guest

Omg I miss that Goldilocks branch! Shocks! Whenever I need to eat real fast in a crowded fast food chain,I always look for the Share A Seat, Win A Friend sign but to no avail! Lol!

zigzag

isa pang tanga, ahahahaha

zigzag

ay tanganot. ahahahahahha

Kiel

Now I understand Tina Tagle. 🙂

Chichi YS Reply:

what do you mean? Please explain. ( I admire Ms. Tina Tagle )

Guest

what do you mean? Please explain. ( I admire Ms. Tina Tagle )

Guest

I wish people would stop using the term “deprived childhood” as if it were a quantifiable crime or an inflicted mental disorder. The adjective “deprived” is so relative, a kid growing up in a squatters area could feel deprived not having had a single toy to play with, in as much as a spoiled brat living in Forbes would feel deprived not having had all the toys he wanted. What matters is that parents provide the right VALUES for children to discern that self-worth does not rest in material things. And simple manners that bragging and being vulgar is bad.… Read more »

Lexi

^This.

Guest

That’s the reason why we now have terms like Conyo Problems and Third World Problems.

Guest

Ganyan rin observation ko kay Greta! Ang daming kulang sa buhay nya kaya deprived sya. I don’t hate Greta pero mas kampi ako sakanya, antipatika kasi siya, yun lang. Si Claudine, parang may sanib. Dun pa lang sa iniwan sya ni Raymart mapapa-wonder ka eh. “Parang” mmm.. confirmed, may saltik nga.

May Sanib Din Reply:

Gosh, natawa ako sa “may sanib”! Di ko kinaya!!! As in I’m snickering dito sa office cubicle ko. Haha!

May Sanib Din

Guest

Just an observation : Isn’t it interesting that a Montenegro (Tania) is defending Gretchen now when she (Gretchen) had a falling out with another (in)famous Montenegro years ago — Nadia.

I remember reading something about Gretchen having a fight with Nadia and called someone to pick her up at a hotel in QC, where they were having dinner. The person who picked her (Gretchen) up — Claudine.

Iiiiintereeeesting turn of events! Parang I want to do a flow chart, haha.

zigzag Reply:

lahat naman ng magkaibigan may away. baka plastic ka sa kaibigan mo.

zigzag

lahat naman ng magkaibigan may away. baka plastic ka sa kaibigan mo.

Guest

OMG, this had gotta be one of the best and funniest post ever! LOL on the illustrations too! Now I can make another update during our office chismis sessions LOL. HBD Ms. C!

Guest

Ana you are so talented!

CVS as usual balanced ang reporting! Kudos!

Gretchen: Stop fiddling with your face. You are beautiful but not for long if you continue with fillers and injections.

Inday: Heal your family. Don’t take sides. They are all your children.

And that is my two cents worth. Bow!

Vincent Tuason Reply:

“heal the family” eto ang magandang gawin nila. unless, they are craving attention and all the noise they generate are premeditated.

hey you

di ko lang maintindihan from this story, Inday seems like an evil stepmother. why would she single out gretchen? kung naging eldest sya, i might have understood na she had to sacrifice for her siblings. pero she’s not. i don’t get it. something’s wrong with this story. it’s not normal. [Reply]Lilibeth Borra Reply:May 1st, 2013 at 4:21 PMYes, it’s not normal. Actually this family is not normal…such a highly dysfunctional family lead by a matriarch who seems to be out of balance….anyway, thanks to CVS for this interesting and also funny update on the continuing real life novela of the… Read more »

Lilibeth Borra

Yes, it’s not normal. Actually this family is not normal…such a highly dysfunctional family lead by a matriarch who seems to be out of balance….anyway, thanks to CVS for this interesting and also funny update on the continuing real life novela of the Barretos 🙂

Guest

OH MY GOD INDAY’S CARTOON!!! the resemblance is just uncanny! Hahahahahaha! I freaking love this!

Guest

Super galing ng illustrations!

Guest

This battle is getting uglier…kailangan na ng reality show.

Guest

nice illustrations!!! and yes, team la greta

Guest

it was a good 3 min cry for me and i thought… i have 2 girls…. and thought…. if i did the same things to my girls inday did to gretch ….. could thry be another gretchen ? Maybe worth pitting my girls … Cause gretch is a good fighter….. the uphill type…. idol….

Guest

I am loving this new app. It reads very nicely.

hiddendragon

I gotta say, this post is so much more interesting that that Singapore chicken rice.

Peachy

with all the different versions/stories coming out, who’s really telling the truth?!

btw, happy birthday, ms.c! 🙂

Guest

Dear Ana, ( you know, sis of Ms. C ) You are such a gifted child! I admire your imagination. Wow! Look at that ” sabunot na maka laglag buhok, the palayok face, pretending to be busog and napapaiyak sa sobrang tuwa at gutom – mocha cake! ” LOL! You just made my day complete bec. of sobrang happy! Rock and Roll ! 🙂 Thanks again Ana! ( and Ms. C – happy bersday!) [Reply]CVS Reply:May 1st, 2013 at 10:17 AMgifted child??? lol . ana will like that [Reply]Ana Maria Zamora Reply:May 1st, 2013 at 1:17 PMSweet :-(( Thank you… Read more »

Ana Maria Zamora

Sweet :-(( Thank you kjhgdkhjs

Guest

Hi Ana, when ever you’re writing like this – “kjhgdkhjs” I know that……You’re feeling shy ba? Excited? Alam ko yan eh, I’ve seen it several times sa blog mo. Sorry, forgetful na ako. 🙂
Basta, I like your Art and your Blog. OkThanksBye!

Ana Maria Zamora

Yes the sad faces and the jsdghfksjdhgfksj mean kilig :-))) Thank you againnnn!!!

Lilibeth Borra

Hahaha…ang galing nga niya! Actually the illustrations added fun to this article and made my activate my imagination while reading 🙂

Guest

The only thing that is quite doubting in this story of Tania is when she recalled what happened in the early 90’s. Around in the 80’s decade (between 1986 to 1988) , I was around Metro Manila for university education. And during those times, I loved shopping in Greenhills where I saw Gretchen frequently shopping . In fact , we were shopping in my favorite stall, where Gretchen also loved to shop —branded clothing (popular that time) such as Esprit, Lacoste, Polo by RL, Gianfranco Ferre, etc. She DEFINITELY was NOT poor—she was clad in nice branded outfits, and accessories.… Read more »

disqus_IHXofsppsk

i think tania was just talking about her experiences/observations during gretchen’s pre-joey loyzaga days…

Guest

I know but she implied that Gretchen was still “poor” in the 90’s.

Guest

This is so amusing, Ms C. One of your most enjoyable blog posts.

Guest

I lurve the illustrations! Happy Birthday Inday Cecilia Ramona!

LSanzs

I just read Inday Barretto’s latest interview. Napansin ko lang na parang sobrang sensitive and defensive niya sa issue na poor sila dati. Masama ba at dapat ikahiya kung naghirap kayo noon? Everybody goes through hard times. Bakit sobra kinaka-hiya niya yon?

Razielle Ambat-Bayas Reply:

Ang labo nga to flat-out deny you ever struggled financially but not deny you hurt your own child.

Guest

Goldilocks should get Gretchen sa endorser!

CVS Reply:

and California rice!

njmanang Reply:

What is California Rice?

CVS Reply:

Calrose. google it

Razielle Ambat-Bayas Reply:

Benta yon, that she could eat any cake she wants pero bumabalik-balik sa Goldilocks 🙂 Kung ako nga si Goldilocks, nagpadala na agad ako ng isang tumbon na Goldilocks mocha slices after that article came out. Para ma-instagram ni Gretchen. hehehe.

Em Dy Reply:

She actually has a post in Instagram about a Goldilocks cake. Caption was favorite tony gift.

Em Dy

Mark Lee Te Go

Ang kulit ng illustrations lalo na yung recess and yung may california rice x spam . I’m officially a fan of Ana. hahahaha!

Guest

I love Greta more because of this! Baka sabihin ni Tita Inday nasa payroll ka. Chos!

CVS Reply:

that’s why I added the P.S. at the bottom of the entry. check it out 🙂

Mark Montano Reply:

Hahaha! Benta ang comment!

Mark Montano

Hahaha! Benta ang comment!

Guest

ok. Gretchen = bading blogger. [Reply]CVS Reply:May 1st, 2013 at 1:22 AMreminds you of someone? [Reply]oh_fudge Reply:May 1st, 2013 at 1:26 AMyeah di ba, si bading parang ganyan din ang childhood? although mabait naman mga magulang non. pero ganyan din, deprived. [Reply]CVS Reply:May 1st, 2013 at 1:29 AMOMG true!! gets ko na! oh_fudge Reply:May 1st, 2013 at 1:51 AMLOL! tulog ka na kasi, miss. buti na lang di ka deprived nung bata ka no? happy birthday! hehe Loren Reply:May 1st, 2013 at 10:51 AMBB? magman8523 Reply:May 1st, 2013 at 1:13 PMgets. lol Bebengisms | Denise Rayala Reply:May 1st, 2013 at… Read more »

Bebengisms | Denise Rayala

Sinetch? FP?

wiz. mas sikat. lol

Guest

Napaisip ako dito. Ooh, yun nasa Rogue! haha!

Ang cute ng drawings!

Guest

Thank you, Ms. C (and Ana!) for saving me from 10 minutes worth of nosebleed. This is awesome. Thank goodness I didn’t read that article when I saw it.

Guest

Ang kwela!!! I love Ana’s illustrations!!!

I feel bad that the friends are joining the fray. Hindi ‘to matatapos.

Guest

truth be told, hindi ako nayayabangan kay Gretchen. I like her more than her two sisters.

Guest

Ang galing-galing! Napa-clap hands ako =) Kamukha talaga ni Inday Barreto yung drawing! And natawa ako sa “food galore” LOL May alam ako kay Claudine. May alam din ako kay Gretchen actually. Text ko sa iyo bukas! [Reply]CVS Reply:May 1st, 2013 at 1:16 AMwhatsapp? [Reply]rona co Reply:May 1st, 2013 at 2:02 AMShare your alams with us! 🙂 [Reply]hew me Reply:May 1st, 2013 at 9:30 AMpsh, u can’t just say that and then not tell everyone [Reply]Loren P Reply:May 1st, 2013 at 1:16 PMFrances! Please share, or else I won’t sell you Biscoff anymore.hahhahaha! [Reply]CVS Reply:May 1st, 2013 at 1:54 PMjuicy… Read more »

Guest

psh, u can’t just say that and then not tell everyone

Guest

Frances! Please share, or else I won’t sell you Biscoff anymore.hahhahaha!

KUMAGCOW