I survived BodyTite, Part 2
Posted on

I’m deathly afraid of all kinds of medical tests—blood test, X-ray, ECG—you name it. But I had to get all of that cleared in order to get BodyTite.
I ended up going to Healthway at Shangri-La Plaza because it’s the least scary thing to do if you need tests. You go in, you fill in a form, pay, wait for your turn. And then you can go shopping and come back for the results if they’re ready. In this case I couldn’t shop because I’m not allowed.
It took me a few days to get that done because I’m scared. So my initial appointment for BodyTite was delayed.
After much fear and praying, I passed all my tests.
I saw Dr. Belo again at Myron’s Greenbelt 5 during a blogger’s event. Then there was no more turning back because she set a date—that was Thursday, yesterday.

A few days before Thursday I started to shake in bed. I couldn’t sleep. On Sunday I told my family I was getting the procedure done.
On Monday, I told Jay and Jude, who called my arms “dolman.” Monday night I had to take Sleepasil to fall asleep.
Tuesday and Wednesday I took 1/4 Rivotril—anything to keep me from shaking at night.
All I could think of was death and how I didn’t want to die for skinny arms. What would my boys think?

On Thursday, nothing by mouth by 8 AM. I woke up at 10-ish (note that I was still sleepless, even with the pills). I was thirsty but not hungry.
I was afraid. At 11 AM, my hairstylist came. I had a feeling I wouldn’t be able to shampoo for days, so I wanted decent hair.
12 noon, my nurse came. I hire Makati Med nurses as needed, even for home care (tell you all about them later).
12:30 I was at the Belo clinic in Greenhills. Without any anxiety meds to help me, I had to rely on God and myself to keep calm. I prayed the Rosary while waiting.
They let me and the nurse wait inside one of the empty rooms that had a bed so I could relax. Then this other nurse came in for a briefing and gave me the full-on “What To Expect” speech on BodyTite.
I told my nurse to take down notes as I might not remember a thing.
Midway I just had to ask her was, “Will I die?”
To calm my nerves, she told me she had her thighs done and lived to tell. She was so becky and hilarious, she really erased my fears.


We were waiting for cardiac clearance from a doctor. While I was perfectly fine chilling in the room with my nurse, I was told that I could pass the time with a free facial. WT??? I was really shocked. (At the other doctor I don’t want to see again, I would be made to wait for two hours, even though I had an appointment and came on time. They don’t even give you the password to their Wifi—so you really get mad waiting—Cedric can attest.)
I had a nice Obagi facial with the calming scent of lavender and the sound of birds on the speaker.
(I have to add that Belo has a really nice restroom in Connecticut—so I was doubly impressed.)

The cardiologist came and interviewed me. He is from St. Luke’s and knows my dad. I chatted with him for a bit due to nervousness.
I was given a gown, paper panties, hair cover and a fresh pair of Mickey Mouse socks for my feet. I was led into the operating room, where I saw the becky nurse and met the anesthesiologist who would take care of me.
Dr. Belo appeared in her scrubs and slippers—again a completely different person from the Vicki Belo socialite you see in the papers—no makeup, nail polish and all that.
I stripped and got marked on my arms.
I really appreciated the fact that she told me—twice—that I am not fat, that I need to exercise because I’m jiggly (#truth).
She also offered to remove some of my kili-kili fat so I could wear strapless dresses—to which I said, “No, no, no. I would never, ever do that.”
“Why not?” she asked.
“It’s just not me. I just can’t. It’s a fashion choice. I can’t. No.”
“Ok….” she said.
My friends crack up when I get to this part of the story—the thought of me in a strapless Hervé Leger dress just makes them giggle, I can’t tell you.
And then I was off to the Twilight Zone.
(to be continued)

Leave a Reply