chuvaness
REPOST: Don’t do this at home
Posted on

I’m reposting this due to the recent incidents of fire caused by sky lanterns.
Please be aware that these are banned in countries such as Singapore, Australia and the UK.
There is even a UK website dedicated to letting people know of its dangers.
http://www.bantheskylantern.org.uk

Yesterday, 12 fire incidents were reported around Metro Manila on New Year’s eve, some which have been linked to sky lanters.
“In one incident in Quezon City, a sky lantern was suspected of having caused a fire along Commonwealth Avenue. The fire developed along Pag-ibig Street, affecting 15 houses and destroying an estimated. P300,000 worth of property destroyed. According to investigators, residents reported seeing at least 10 sky lanterns landing on their roofs before the fire started past 1 AM. No injuries were reported.” Source

The following entry was originally posted last January 31, 2012.
Please read and be aware that while fire lanterns may be pretty, they probably belong in a beach resort and not a crowded town or village.

* * *

I’ve been quiet for a while due to something horrible that recently happened at home.
It started on the evening of Chinese New Year. Jeroen and I were doing our nightly stroll around the village when we spotted some Chinese neighbors in red, launching a paper lanter in front of their home. I had never seen anything so pretty. I asked where they got it.
“Regina’s, Greenhills,” the man said.
On January 25th, I bought two of each color at Regina’s. Only 49 pesos each! I thought that launching a bunch of them from our green roof on Jeroen’s birthday dinner would be a great idea, sort of like this.

After a wonderful, casual dinner with friends, about 20 of us went up to the roof garden, excited to be out on that cold night.
Patrick, a Xavier alum, was assigned to light them up with Jeroen.

Chinese lantern

It was a windy night, certainly not a good time to launch them as we found out later

Chinese lantern

The first one went up nicely into the sky

Chinese lantern

The second one went up just as a strong wind came and blew it down to the neighbor’s roof, which was right next to our bamboo trees!
For the next few (extremely long) seconds, panic ensued. We were screaming, jumping, yelling for water and hoses, hugging each other, and finally praying out loud (that was me by the way shouting, “God PLEASE! Help us NOW!!!”) when suddenly I heard some of my friends say, “It’s going up!”
At that moment the wind calmed down, the hot air pushed the red lantern safely up into the sky.
Patrick launched a third one as it was already being lighted when trouble happened. After that I told the maids to throw everything away.
Do NOT do this at home I tell you. It is extremely dangerous, bad for the environment, and illegal in some countries due to incidents of fire.

When that was over, we all went down to heave a general sigh of relief. We hugged, drank, ate more food and told stories until the last two guests left at 4 AM.
The following day I had another answered prayer: Naumi Hotel responded positively to my request for a discount on my no-show fee.
Just when I had given up hope and left everything to God, He saved me.
I was back in Church on Sunday.

13
Leave a Reply

avatar
11 Comment threads
2 Thread replies
0 Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
8 Comment authors
avataravataravataravataravatar Recent comment authors

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

  Subscribe  
Notify of
avatar
Guest
Aileesa Lim

I wish more people would realize sky lanterns are real fire hazards. I was shocked that Nuvali actually organized a “Lantern Parade” last New Year’s Eve:

http://www.ourawesomeplanet.com/awesome/2012/12/nuvali-lantern-parade-happy-new-year-2013.html

And when I posted a comment pointing out how irresponsible it was to launch sky lanterns in an area with a lot of trees and grassy areas, (it was such a dry December too!), the blogger didn’t even approve my comment for posting. Tsk tsk.

[Reply]

avatar
Guest

I saw lanterns over the Katipunan area the other night. 😛

[Reply]

avatar
Guest

our neighbor flew 3 lanterns. i even heard them “di totoo yun! (referring to the san juan fire caused by lanterns). My point is, this tradition is done in open spaces mainly in shores to make sure that if ever it lands, it would be in the water. Some people are just selfish. even if it’s just a small possibility that this can do harm to others, they must still consider that. di sila nadala last year, nung sumabit sa kuryente ung lantern nila. 

[Reply]

avatar
Guest

I totally agree with you, Chuvaness, as we had a similar experience! Sky lanterns are fire hazards! The fuel that these lanterns use is a highly flammable wax that would just keep on burning until it burns itself out. And once you release the lantern you cannot control the direction of its flight! We lit one several months ago and when we released it the lantern got snagged on top of our roof! Thankfully, the roof was made of galvanized iron. We could only stand and watch in horror as the fire inside the swaying lantern got bigger and bigger! A… Read more »

avatar
Guest

Ang pogi naman ni Patrick. Wala ba s’yang close-up picture? 🙂

[Reply]

avatar

Tara Reply:

That guy in the picture is Jeroen, Chuvaness’s husband.

[Reply]

avatar

CVS Reply:

that’s Jeroen

[Reply]

avatar
Guest
Tara

That guy in the picture is Jeroen, Chuvaness’s husband.

[Reply]

avatar
Guest
Nayeli143

I guess your answered prayers are God’s way of telling you to attend Sunday mass regularly.  The terrible bathrooms, gay priests,  not so eloquent priests, etc. are just minor inconveniences compared with the blessings he has given you.  

[Reply]

avatar
Guest
Cathy Cadano

glad to know you’re back in Church

[Reply]

avatar
Guest

Glad that all is well. Lemme just say the Regina’s is my personal wasteland. I go in and go out with bags full of stuff … stuff that are CUTE but i don’t need. Hay. =)

[Reply]

avatar
Guest

Ohh.. I panicked while reading too. Like.. oh n! oh no! Hope it doesn’t create fire!!

[Reply]

avatar
Guest

Glad everyone is safe and no fire. In Thailand, they call the lanterns “lucky balloons” and they light it up at the beach for safety.

[Reply]

avatar
Guest

God is good for those who are good to people. And that’s you! =)

[Reply]