SMART & SUN mobile networks are prepared for Typhoon Hagupit, which is expected to make landfall this weekend.
Check out this Google Earth animation of the current storm threat to the eastern Philippines.
SMART and SUN are monitoring the typhoon’s movement, and plans are in place to maintain communication services and ensure speedy response and restoration should facilities be adversely affected.
Restoration equipment and personnel are already in the Visayas, Southern Luzon & Northern Mindanao regions. Their equipment includes generator sets and batteries that will support capacities of telecommunications equipment in the region, as well as equipment for free call and free charging services.
This will enable Smart-Sun to respond quickly to failures and community needs as they occur.
Rest assured that Smart & Sun are exerting all efforts to minimize, if not prevent, interruptions to vital telecommunications services that may be caused by typhoon Hagupit.
All mobile phone users are encouraged to:
1. Fully charge cell phone batteries.
2. In the event of power outages, conserve battery power. Make sensible use of voice calls. Text messaging uses less power.
3. Store emergency numbers in your cell phone, including family members, TV and radio stations, and relief agencies like the National Disaster Coordinating Council, local government units, local police, local chapter of the Philippine National Red Cross, etc. Keep a hard copy just in case.
4. Keep a battery-operated radio handy as well as spare batteries to stay up to date on evacuation warnings, storm and rescue developments, in case electric and communication facilities shut down.
5. Keep your cell phone dry and keep in protective plastic bag if necessary.